Thursday, October 30, 2008

Stupid things


Some times things happen that are tragic. Sometimes they are just stupid. A couple of stupid things have happened to me-- by my own commission-- over the past 24 hours, and they have lead to a somewhat stupid day.

First of all, I had gone two entire days with only ibuprofen during the day for pain, no percocet. I had been taking just one percocet at bedtime. This had gone well. So, last night, I decided just to take ibuprofen at bedtime. It turns out that this was stupid. I had aches and pains all night, tossed and turned keeping both myself and Dave awake, and now feel both stupid and grumpy, not to mention exhausted. Once I had allowed enough time to elapse after taking my ibuprofen to take some percocet, I was into the fasting hours for my morning blood work, and it was too late. Ugh!

And my second stupid act: although it occurred to me through the stupor of sleeplessness and aches and pains that I should not swallow my pain pills after midnight, it somehow did NOT occur to me to keep myself from popping in a sugar-free cough drop when my throat became too dry to swallow. This is a side-effect still with me from last week's surgery, and I think is mostly due to the swelling still present, and residual effects from the anesthesia tubes. About 3:00 this morning, when I couldn't swallow, I thoughtlessly grabbed a cough drop off my night stand and popped it into my mouth. About 15 minutes later, it came to me in a clear and forceful fashion that caused me to sit upright in bed, that this was a mistake, and I went to spit it out. But alas, when I called the lab in the morning, I had, sure enough, ruined my chances of getting my blood work done today. So, I didn't take my pain pills, and still couldn't get my blood work done. We'll have to try again tomorrow, and remember to remove the cough drops from my nightstand before bed tonight. Double ugh!

It's the stupid things that wear you down, isn't it? I suppose there is a good spiritual application here somewhere, but honestly, I'm too tired to think of it. My spiritual goal for the day is to read scripture, and keep from throwing my grumpiness all over the people I love.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aunt Chris,

I am so sorry. :-( This all sounds really hard, but know we are praying for you! Is the pain any better yet?

My mum said you guys were able to talk a couple days ago--I really appreciated what you had to say. I am so blessed to have a group of godly people who surround me with love and good advice. :-)

Love,

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Aunt Chris,

I am so sorry. :-( This all sounds really hard, but know we are praying for you! Is the pain any better yet?

My mum said you guys were able to talk a couple days ago--I really appreciated what you had to say. I am so blessed to have a group of godly people who surround me with love and good advice. :-)

Love,

Sarah

Julie said...

"My spiritual goal for the day is to read scripture, and keep from throwing my grumpiness all over the people I love."

Because you shared I knew how to pray.