Wednesday, October 08, 2008

God is God, and I am not



This morning, my friend Randy posted about the trinity on his blog. This put me in the frame of mind to ponder the mysteries of our God and our faith relationship to Him: that He is God, and I am not. That He is so "other" in some ways that I cannot approach understanding, and yet He is close, too. There is much mystery at the heart of our faith.

I continued that pondering as I ran across this amazing set of photographs from photographer Yann Arthus-Bertrand. (Thanks to T.C.) He captures a beauty in this earth that we so rarely see. Yet God placed it there, in obscure places hidden from human eyes. He must love beauty, and create it for His own pleasure, not just ours. Only He is big enough to create beauty where no one will see it. And if He creates beauty in the physical realm where we don't see it, what kind of beauty is He creating in other places that we can't see?

This morning I've been struggling with a migraine-- something I have had mercifully few of since my cancer diagnosis. But it is going to be one of those weeks: unpleasant tests, waiting for results, getting results, and dealing with migraines. If I were God, I would plan it differently. But I am not.

This line of thinking reminded me of a wonderful article in Christianity Today by the late Tony Snow, found here. Who would think that blessing could come of disease and death? Not me. Only God. Only He is big enough to imagine such things.

And this morning, as I struggled to wrap my mind and heart around God's biggness and ability, and my smallness and inability, I got an e-mail from a friend I have never met face-to-face. The Lord had placed me on her heart, and for reasons she didn't understand, she was praying for me this morning. Ah. Only God.

God is God, and I am not, and I am grateful for the comfort that brings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am always reminded that I need to praise and thank God more everyday when I read your blog. I spend to much time stressing out about things instead of praying and asking for help. Thank you for your posts, they help me.