Thursday, July 10, 2008

On being thankful

Last night wasn't quite as good a night as I've been having. It had something to do with the fact that Dave is on travel, and I just don't sleep as well when he's gone. And it had something to do with the wonderful, energetic, fruitful day I had yesterday, which probably over-did me a bit, and left me overly tired and a little sore. Those things are the "normal" ups and downs of life. But the Enemy uses them as opportunities to tempt me to worry and fear, in the dark hours of the night, when no one else is there. So last night wasn't terrible-- I just didn't get much sleep, and spent much of the night doing spiritual battle. And then I was wide awake and ready to get out of bed before 6:00 am this morning. I doubt if all this bodes well for my state later today after I go to the post office and the oncologist, and drive to ABQ to look for a dress for Tim and Nikkki's wedding, and pick up Dave at 10:40 pm.

This morning I knew I needed to refocus, and pick up my weapons again for the battle, clean them and sharpen them and get ready for the day. So I listened to my daily bible readings (Psalms 1-3 and Acts 16), and then perused some of the blogs I read regularly. Mark Altrogge had an excellent post about thankfulness. And then as I took my 50 minute walk through arroyos and juniper, I listened to the Scripture songs found on Hide the Word 1. God's word is something to be thankful for! One of the songs is a little rendition of Jeremiah 1:12, which says:

Then the LORD said to me, "You have seen well, for I am watching over my word to perform it."

The thing that struck me as I walked is that the riches of God's promises in His word are some of those things the Lord is watching to perform. As His child, those promises are plentiful and substantive. So today I am trying to glorify God by thanking Him for those "exceeding great and precious promises" He has given me. And there are so many to be thankful for: there is no condemnation for me because of what Christ did; Christ will complete the work He began in me; I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me; my light and momentary trials are acheiving for me a weight of glory ineternity in Christ; God is faithful and will not tempt me beyond what I can bear; Christ will give me rest; all things must work together for my good because I love Christ; everything I do is an opportunity to serve Christ; God will meet all my needs in Christ.

Wow. How can I help but be thankful?

No comments: