Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Night at the Opera



Our night at the Opera last night was lovely. (Special thanks go to our friend Richard, who generously gave us tickets!) We took our friends Ann and Victor with us, and had a lovely tailgate picnic before hand (Dave, Me and Ann at left, Victor taking the photo) We saw an excellent production of Billy Budd by Benjamin Britten. The set and staging was wonderful, and some of the voices were amazing. There were those heart-wrenching climaxes and surprising resolutions you expect in a Benjamin Britten piece, as well as clever coupling of parts and gorgeous choruses with the all-male-voices cast. It is pretty atonal for the most part, and as such, not likely my favorite opera. Even though it is a more depressing story, I think I preferred Peter Grimes. But it was a wonderful three hours of glorious music nonetheless. It made me feel so blessed by my friends... Richard, for his generosity in allowing us to get to the opera in a season I had given up any thought of doing it, and Ann and Victor to come enjoy the evening with us.

And as if this were not enough blessing, I head out tomorrow for a couple of nights away with my dear husband to celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary. How is it possible we have been married that long?! We are just going to a nice hotel in downtown ABQ, and will plan little trips as I feel up to it: maybe hiking on Sandia Peak, or going to the dollar movie theater, or watching old movies in the hotel room, and getting nice little meals at fun little spots. Doesn't that sound wonderful?! Indeed, God has been very good to me!

2 comments:

Randy Greenwald said...

Congratulations! And praise to God for the chance to get away. So necessary to have these times of celebration.

Twenty-eight, huh? Well, it's not as if I've EVER had any inclination to be competitive with Dave, but we are still winning!

And that is clearly by the grace of a very good God.

Have a great time.

PS Around here people have tailgate parties, but I'm not sure it is for opera...

Shannon said...

Happy anniversary! What fun times...both the getaway and the opera. :)