Saturday, July 26, 2008

"Normal" is a wonderful thing


Today has been a quiet sort of day--deliciously "normal". It was raining as we awoke this morning,so we took a little extra time before rising. Dave ran and I walked, and we met at the end. It was partly cloudy, cool and moist. A wonderful morning! Then we made breakfast burritos, and worked in the yard, and I worked on quilting and on details for the rehearsal dinner for Tim and Nikki's wedding. All normal, simple activities. And I have thoroughly enjoyed it!

"Normal" get lost in the shuffle of cancer. Or at least normal has to shift. Normal is now driving to treatment every week day. So a weekend off is delightful. I long for that sense of normal and ordinary, and to leave the crush of the immediacy of treatment behind me. Not long now.

I think this longing for normal is related to the longing for things as God intended them to be. And oh, how I long for that! I can really imagine laying down this weary world. I have posted the lovely words to this song before, but I will post it again, this time as one who has had to face mortality in a personal way. They are a beautiful reminder that what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal!

It Is Not Death to Die
Original words by Henri Malan (1787–1864). Translated by George Bethune (1847). Music, chorus, and alternate words by Bob Kauflin

As recorded on Come Weary Saints


It is not death to die
To leave this weary road
And join the saints who dwell on high
Who’ve found their home with God
It is not death to close
The eyes long dimmed by tears
And wake in joy before Your throne
Delivered from our fears

Chorus O Jesus, conquering the grave
Your precious blood has power to save
Those who trust in You
Will in Your mercy find
That it is not death to die

It is not death to fling
Aside this earthly dust
And rise with strong and noble wing
To live among the just
It is not death to hear
The key unlock the door
That sets us free from mortal years
To praise You evermore

© 2008 Sovereign Grace Praise (BMI)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, love Normality-especially when it can be spent with those I love. I'm finding more and more as I'm getting ready to leave for college, that I appreciate those little moments. :-)

Ok, profs!

Modern Dance is Corrine Imberski...though I think I'll be changing that one.

Western Civ is with Dr. Siegal...yes, I'm very terrified.

Greek is with Dr. Holmes!

Rhet and Great Books is with Dr. Freeh. (I got to meet him, and he seems wonderful.)

Science is with Nussbaum & Steiner...don't know anything about them.

-Love,

Sarah

Jenny said...

Hi Chris,

Yes, Normal (or as I sometimes call it Boring) is delightful and I think you are right it is a taste, a promise of what is to come. We've been praying and will continue to do so.
Love,
Jenny
PS Thank you for all of the wonderful encouragement you have been giving my oldest gal.