Sunday, September 13, 2009

Maintaining a contented heart...


"Under all providences maintain a contented heart with what the Lord allots you, be it more or less of the things of this world. This grace must run parallel with all providences. Learn how to be full, and how to suffer want, and in every state to be content."
~John Flavel, The Mystery of Providence

"Learn how", indeed. This goes into the category of easy to say, but quite a challenge to accomplish. This Sabbath day, I am contemplating my lot, with gratitude, and wondering how I can better learn the art and discipline of contentment. I could always reach for my worn copy of Burroughs, but I am seeking experiential success here. I understand the concept, but lack the will.

It reminds me of something I recently heard about the philosopher Soren Kierkegaard. He apparently talked about lack of faith being due not to intellectual knowledge, but to lack desire to have it.

I desire to be content...Lord, help my discontent!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Amen. Thanks for this... :)