Saturday, August 15, 2009

Apples, apples, everywhere...



Today my sister Gwen and her two daughters, Hallie and Atalie, came to help with apples. The girls and uncle Dave picked a couple more bushels of apples, leaving MORE still on our one little tree. And Gwen, Marilyn and I worked like madwomen in the kitchen. We made three pies, 13 quarts of applesauce, and a fresh apple cake. Most of the produce, along with a bag of apples, went home with Gwen. It was a fun day of working together and teaching Gwen and the girls about making and canning applesauce!



And for those of you interested (I DO intend this as sharing our blessings and the joy of our apple abundance, not as bragging) that brings my total apple numbers this year to 21 pies, 52 quarts of applesauce, 6 fresh apple cakes, 1 apple strudel, and 5 apple tarts. And not only are there still apples on the tree, my garage refrigerator is FULL of apples, and my hearth in the living room is covered with bags and boxes of apples. What a lovely time to be able to share God's bounty with others!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I just wanted you to know that I've now been craving apples since I first saw your facebook posts about all the sauce, pies, cakes, and goodies you're making. YUMMO!!!