Sunday, August 30, 2009

Applebutter Adventure


My Mom and I had a lovely mother-daughter time on Saturday. Our goal was to recreate the apple butter my mother remembers her mother making. My grandmother died when she was just 50, my mother was just 25, and I was just 5. So, without a recipe, and only my mother's memories to go on, we set about our adventure. Not only did we make some delicious apple butter that seems similar to my Grandmother's, but it afforded us a day filled with family stories and memories. It was lovely!

I have been blessed to have my mother with me for these first 49 years of life. I am very grateful for her, and hope I never take time with her for granted!

And here is the recipe we came up with:

Grandma's Apple Butter

Combine in a large, heavy kettle:
5 quarts applesauce
5 Cups white sugar
5 Cups brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
Bring to a boil, then simmer under low heat for several hours, until mixture thickens, and when a spoonful is placed on a saucer, no water ring appears around the edges (yesterday this took us about 8 hours!) Stir occasionally. Fill sterilized jars, seal with lids and rings, and process in water bath for 10 minutes.

No comments: