Sunday, August 01, 2010

Sundays with Jean...

...For the Lord proves his people by no light trials, and does not softly exercise them, but often drives them to extremity, and allows them, so driven, to lie a long time in the mire before he gives them any taste of his sweetness...
~Jean Calvin: Institutes of the Christian Religion (2 Volume Set) III. 20.52

When I read this in Calvin, my soul responds with an "Amen".  I often have asked God why I have to struggle for so long, or get so weary before the light of God's countenance lifts me.  And as I struggle with the Lord in prayer, the answer is the same one the saints of old have always gotten:
Remember the former things, those of long ago;
       I am God, and there is no other;
       I am God, and there is none like me.
 I make known the end from the beginning,
       from ancient times, what is still to come.
       I say: My purpose will stand,
       and I will do all that I please.
~Isaiah 46:9-10
If life was easy we would love it here, and not need a future hope.  If we were secure and righteous in ourselves, we would not need a Savior. I hope today, on this beautiful Sabbath day, you have both a future hope and a Savior, Gentle Readers. They make all the difference in the day of trouble.

No comments: