Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Reflections of a pot...

All of us have become like one who is unclean,
       and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags;
       we all shrivel up like a leaf,
       and like the wind our sins sweep us away.
 No one calls on your name
       or strives to lay hold of you;
       for you have hidden your face from us
       and made us waste away because of our sins.
 Yet, O LORD, you are our Father.
       We are the clay, you are the potter;
       we are all the work of your hand.
~Isaiah 64:6-8 
It was one of those nights.  I woke up with leg cramps, and hot flashes, and several little aches and pains.  And post-cancer, no little ache or pain is just an ache or pain, but a potential problem. So my early morning rising was not as one terribly refreshed, but more as one who needed to remind herself of what is important. So at 6:10 I rolled out of bed, turned on my heating pad, and opened God's word. The above verses are part of what I read.

Here's the thing about being a pot: you don't get to choose what kind of pot you become, you are not the one who designs or the one  plans the usefulness. You are the pot. But when the Potter is not only skilled but good and wise, there is also a lot of peace in being a pot. you can rest in the purpose the Creator designed for you, and not fritter away time worrying about whether you should have been some different kind of a vessel or not.  You can trust the Potter. And that's what I am trying to do, Gentle Reader, day-by-day, moment-by-moment.

And how is my health?  Excellent, actually!  I am mostly feeling very well, continuing to lose weight and build strength and stamina.  Next week I see the oncologist for my regular check-up.  That may be why I'm wondering about the other pots right now.  But I am determined to trust my Potter. And that is my prayer for you, Gentle Reader!

No comments: