Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Encouraging words...


For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord,[d] that(AI) we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. Therefore encourage one another with these words.
~1 Thessalonians 4:15-17

There are some days when these words seem more encouraging than others, and today, they sound pretty good to me! I am weary and emotionally a little raw, and the thought of being caught up in the air with the Lord, always to be with him, is indeed an encouragement. To be done with the sin and weariness of this world is something to look forward to!

I have nothing to complain about, but the little niggling irritations of life in a broken world are getting me down today. Part of the reason for this is that I had a doctor's appointment yesterday with my dear primary care physician. We discussed all my normal blood work (hurrah!) and my very normal mammogram (hurrah!) And also my CT-scan (no hurrah). Apparently there is some question whether the adenoma on my adrenal gland has grown or not. The problem is that this scan is being compared to a previous scan done elsewhere, and so they are not exactly sure for some reason. Thus, another CT-scan in 6 months is called for, because if the silly thing is growing, it must come out. Sheesh.

Additionally, my doc also heard a new heart murmur. Although it does not sound "troubling" to him, because this is the first time anyone has heard it, I have a scheduled echo-cardiogram for the end of the month. Now, echo-cardiograms are wonderful pieces of technology: non-invasive, excellent information, very easy to obtain, but I am just getting tired of medical procedures, and want to get on with feeling better. That's so hard to do when you keep a full schedule of medical procedures on your docket at all times. I am grateful for good medical insurance, but even the co-pays on these expensive procedures are starting to add up, and I'd rather be doing other things with both my time and my money. Oh bother.

God appears to be holding me in this pattern for a reason, and I am endeavoring to still my heart under his frowning providence. Even when he is frowning, where else can we go? It is the frown of a father who sees the trouble his child will insist upon, and knows the child will learn good lessons but wishes he could be spared.

So, I turned to the scripture above, to encourage myself with these words. And if you are living under God's frowning providence, Gentle Reader, may you be encouraged with me, as we set our minds not on earthly things, but on the heavenly!

Therefore, beloved, since you are waiting for these, be diligent to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace. And count the patience of our Lord as salvation...You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, take care that you are not carried away with the error of lawless people and lose your own stability. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.
~2 Peter 3:14-15, 17


I am continually blessed by the prayers of the folks who read this blog: thank you! Here are a few specifics. I would be grateful if you would carry them before God's throne:
~Ask the Lord that the adenoma on my adrenals not grow or cause any trouble that will result in surgery. But if it is the Lord's will for that stupid thing to come out, please pray that it would be obvious when I have a CT-scan next fall.
~Please pray that the echo-cardiogram would reveal no troubles in my heart, and that anything found there will be untroublesome or easily dealt with.
~Ask our heavenly Father to keep me faithful to and trusting in Him, encouraging to others, and fleeing from temptation to despair in these light and momentary afflictions.

And I, Gentle Readers, will be praying for you all!

1 comment:

Cindy Marsch said...

Chris, I'm thankful you have good people with good technology looking out for you, instruments of our GREAT God.