Monday, January 26, 2009

Wedding Dress


Today during my nap time, I was listening to a station I've created on Pandora (and if you've never played with Pandora, you should!) A beautiful song came on, and the lyrics took my breath away. It was Derek Webb, and his song Wedding Dress. It convicted me of my own hypocrisy.

If you could love me as a wife
and for my wedding gift, your life
should that be all i’ll ever need
or is there more i’m looking for

And should i read between the lines
and look for blessings in disguise
to make me handsome, rich, and wise
is that really what you want

Chorus:
I am a whore i do confess
but i put you on just like a wedding dress
and i run down the aisle
i’m a prodigal with no way home
but i put you on just like a ring of gold
and i run down the aisle to you

So could you love this bastard child
though i don’t trust you to provide
with one hand in a pot of gold
and with the other in your side
i am so easily satisfied
by the call of lovers less wild
that i would take a little cash
over your very flesh and blood

Because money cannot buy
a husband’s jealous eye
when you have knowingly deceived his wife


This song was immediately followed by Jars of Clay, Jealous Kind:
i built another temple to a stranger
i gave away my heart to the rushing wind
i set my course to run right into danger
i sought the company of fools instead of friends

Chorus:
you know i've been unfaithful
with lovers in lines
while you're turning over tables
with the rage of a jealous kind
i chose the gallows to the aisle
thought that love would never find
hanging ropes will never keep you
and your love of a jealous kind
love of a jealous kind

tryin' to jump away from rock that keeps on spreading
for solace in the shift of the sinking sand
i'd rather feel the pain all too familiar
than be broken by a lover i don't understand
'cause i don't understand

[CHORUS]

love of a jealous kind, yeah
love of a jealous kind
love of a jealous kind

one hundred other lovers, more, one hundred other altars
if i should slow my pace and finally subject me to grace
and love that shames the wise
betrays the hearts deceit and lies
and breaks the back of foolish pride

love of a jealous kind


Who would have thought that such good reminders for my soul were to be had while listening to the radio? God is good.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My brother burned that "Wedding Dress" song onto a cd for me when I was at Calvin. It is VERY beautiful and convicting. Thanks for sharing....