Saturday, May 31, 2008

Even the sparrows...

This is the hummingbird nest in our red delicious apple tree:

This is the same nest, with Dave's pen resting next to it to give you some sense of the tiny size of this adorable nest!

And here is the treasure held inside!


We also have a robin's nest this year, in our pear tree, and we can hear the babies peeping in there, but the robins are much more frightening when they dive-bomb you than the little hummingbirds, so none of us were brave enough to climb the ladder while Daddy Robin was on the defense...

All of this has me thinking this morning about the providential care of our God. He really does care about the sparrow, and the hummingbird, and the robin. And he really does care about us. And He cares about how hard it is to wait for things you dread, and He cares about the details.

Bob Kauflin posted some beautiful lyrics on his blog this morning that get at the issue of our following this caring God into the tough places. It sums it up beautifully:

Do you believe that I know what is best?
Can you believe that I’ve chosen you for this test?
Though you may not understand it
Though you may not have a clue
I’ve designed what you’re going through just for you.

I’ve heard the questions that you’ve asked me
When you wonder if I care
My promises are trustworthy
You can know I am there
And my Son knows what it is
He suffered in your place
He took the pain that you deserved
So you could know my grace

And there will be a day
When there’ll be no more pain
You’ll look upon my face
And know the trial was worth it
In all the things I do
I’m working now in you
To trust me, to know me
To believe me, to love me
To draw close to me

And if I heal you, I can heal you
I have the power to take this away
But if you don’t see it until you see me
Will anything be changed?

You’ve wondered if I know what is best
I’ve chosen you for this test
And my grace is sufficient for all that you need
For my grace will lead you to Me.




1 comment:

THE MOM said...

Wonderful pictures of the hummingbird nest. We have robins somewhere on our three acres. Quite often they build a nest next to one of our windows, but not this year. Thanks for sharing that and especially the poem.