Thursday, May 01, 2008

Another day accomplished

Today I am glad that most of the day is done and I can just rest for the remainder of it.

I went to have what I thought would be another easy ultra-sound guided biopsy in my left breast, and ended up instead having an almost 2-hour ultrasound session on both breasts, scrutinizing every lymph node and bump that showed up on the MRI report. The radiologist was wonderful: he went over the MRI report with us, showed us on the MRI films where the areas of concern were (one in each breast, and some nodes in my chest), and showed me the areas on the ultrasound. He also saved time for me to biopsy both breasts to make sure what was going on in those areas. The good news is that both look pretty bland: the right side looks like some atypical tissue that he is not very worried about, and is very small; the right breast area disappeared as he biopsied, indicating pretty normal fibrocystic stuff not to worry about. But the pathology can confirm that, and should be back either late tomorrow or on Monday.

I got to watch the whole procedure on the screen, which was fascinating (in a sick kind of way...) and the doc explained everything as we went. It was again, not a painful procedure, praise the Lord! The "insult to injury" part of the process is that at the end of the biopsy they placed small titanium markers in the areas biopsied, then had to do two-view mammograms post-procedure. Now I am a little achy, but doing well. I am ready for no more poking and prodding for a while, however!

So now we wait for that pathology, and plan to do a PET scan on Monday to get a look at the lymph nodes that are enlarged in my chest. These may just be normal for me, but we hope the PET scan will put minds at ease regarding them. And then, we will hopefully lay surgery plans and head to surgery on Thursday, May 8.

My chorus dress rehearsal went on without me today. While I am sad not to be there, and miss my students, I feel a real peace in following where God is taking me. And besides, I have no choices or options, which makes it easy. Time to release control and float with the current, so to speak.

I am enjoying having Ben around. What a blessing that is! And Tim is running a 10K at conference tonight, so please keep him in your prayers as well. What a blessing our families are!

2 comments:

THE MOM said...

These new tests that they do, since I had breast cancer, can certainly help with their diagnoses and treatment plan. But then knowing so much can add to your anxiety also. So glad your son is here to help you during this difficult time of waiting for the reports.
Rest in Him,
Kathy

Amelia R said...

Hi Chris,
Thanks for keeping us appraised of the appointments and how you are doing.