Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A topsy-turvy day


Today was one of those typical days during cancer treatment when you have no idea when the day begins how it will end.

This morning, I received a call from my surgeon. Apparently, he and my oncologist had been discussing me, and the need to figure out what is going on with those pesky lymph nodes, and he had been reviewing my scans and decided which one he found most accessible, and wanted to schedule surgery for next Thursday, June 5. This was news to me.

I quickly put in a call to my oncologist, and discovered that the blood work was all back, and completely negative/inconclusive, except for the fact that I'm anemic. (That may explain why I continue to feel so tired, and the oncologist has put me on prenatal vitamins...which are a little embarrassing to pick up from the pharmacy at my age...) The oncologist really doesn't want to proceed until she has some handle on what is happening in those lymph nodes. This seems reasonable, though I have lots of questions starting to come to mind...

So, it looks like I will be meeting with the surgeon on June 3, having a pre-op visit on June 4, and surgery again on June 5. He is going to take an active lymph node from my lower abdomen/groin area, and plans to do so laproscopically. At this point I really don't have any more details. But that shouldn't stop us from praying for:
  • A successful and easy surgery with no damage done to surrounding vessels and other important body parts
  • Clear pathology results...and negative ones without any cancer
  • A quick and full recovery from surgery
  • Rest and peace as we wait for this next step and beyond
I am exhausted, as is Dave, after a long day. But praise God with us that His goodness has still been shining on us, and lifting our burdens on this topsy-turvy day!

1 comment:

Cindy Marsch said...

With you in prayer, Chris!

Cindy