Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Getting Set for Surgery #2


This morning Dave and I met with the surgeon and had our pre-op appointment for Thursday's surgery. The surgeon described his role as one of a "technician", grabbing some lymph nodes at the behest of the oncologist. I think he is very skilled at laproscopic surgery, but he was pretty straight-forward with us regarding the largest possible bad side-effect: no clear diagnosis. Apparently the two "hot" lymph nodes from the PET-scan in this area are in a series of 15-20 lymph nodes on my outer iliac (outside branch of my aorta/femoral vessel just before my left leg). Only two of the nodes there showed up on the scan, but there won't be a good way of identifying which two they are once he gets in there, since they are only slightly enlarged. He will attempt to take out 5-10 of them, and also swing around possibly to take a look for another one close to my liver (also hot on the Pet-scan). Depending on how difficult it is to find them and get to them, surgery should last from 15 minutes to an hour or so. I will have three tiny incisions, and they will fill me up to some specific pressure with CO2 gas to give him room inside my abdomen to work. (Sounds uncomfortable to me!) The recovery should be similar to laproscopic gallbladder or appendix removal: 4-5 days of laying pretty low, then gradually increasing activity until I'm back to normal in 2-3 weeks.

The surgeon said he would do his best to get us a good sample of nodes, and I told him we would be praying for him to get just the right ones. He replied that we should, "Pray very specifically." So, here are some very specific prayer requests for those of you willing to pray the specifics with us:
  • Pray that the surgeon (Dr. Barker) would, indeed, pull out just the perfect lymph nodes for us to get a diagnosis of what's happening in all those pesky nodes.
  • Pray that Dr, Barker would be skillful in navigating the minefield of my abdomen, the scar tissue from an ectopic pregnancy and fallopian tube removal on that same side, and keep from any inadvertent damage to organs and vessels he passes by and moves around.
  • Pray for my peace of mind and resting in Christ as I enter the general anesthetic again, and come out of it again, and that my asthma would be well managed again (as it was last time).
  • Pray for Dave: the stresses at work and at home are great, and he is being an excellent care giver and faithful friend.
  • And pray for my kids (notice how I can't say "the boys" anymore? I have girls now too!) as they are concerned and trying to care for me from far away-- that is hard!
And let's praise God specifically, too!
  • Praise for an excellent surgeon and excellent care.
  • Praise God for a great prognosis for the breast cancer so far.
  • Praise God for peaceful sleep almost every night.
  • Praise Him for not letting me go my own way, but getting my attention and calling me to remember to fix my eyes on Him.
  • And most of all, praise Him that He has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, so that whether we are awake or asleep, we might live with Him. (1 thessalonians 5:9-10) That is the most amazing praise of all!

13 comments:

Cindy Marsch said...

Praying specifically, Chris!

Lynne said...

I'm praying here, Chris.

May God keep you in perfect peace.

Love,
Lynne

Anne said...

Praying always for you, Chris!!

Love, Anne

Shannon said...

We're praying specifically, too!
Much love,
Shannon

Unknown said...

Your journey is a trying one right now. I am sorry for the uncertainty and the lack of a clear and definite end of the struggle. May God continue to sustain and provide.
Love & prayers,
Donna

Quotidian Life said...

Continuing to pray, Chris...

Debra H. said...

Dear Chris,

Thank you for sharing such specific prayer requests to guide our prayers. May the Lord continue to strengthen you mightily.

Love

Args said...

I like Dr. Barker--he had wisdom to ask for specific prayer. I'm praying the Lord knocks his socks off with clarity & ease during the operation & that he'll know it was God who gave him that gift. And praying for grace upon grace for you and Dave.
Love you guys,
--Ang

Alyse said...

Dear Chris,

We all love you so much.
I am praying for all of your requests and praising the great doctors and your loving and caring family and friends.

Unknown said...

Dear Chris,
I am remembering you before the throne of grace and thanking God for his care over every aspect of your life & health.

Love,
Lyn

Sara E said...

Thanks for the update. You are such a lovely person! You are in my prayers for this surgery. Actually, the CO2 will be most uncomfortable in your shoulders so ask for pain medication early and often! Hang in there.
Sara Ekberg

ElendilPickle said...

Dear Chris,

We are praising God with you for his mercies, and praying for a successful surgery tomorrow!

In Jesus,
Lee Ann

EuroMom said...

Praying for you now, Chris.