Sunday, June 08, 2008

Abdominal surgery stinks, and other truths


This morning my friend C. was reminding me what I told her about abdominal surgery a few years ago when she was recovering from it: it stinks, but then one day you wake up and feel loads better suddenly. You just have to wait to get over that hump.

Well, I'm afraid I'm not over that hump yet. While many things are going well, I am still in the restless no-man's land between surgery and recovery, and I have to admit I dislike this place. I don't feel bad enough to sleep all day, nor good enough to do much of anything else. And a lot of my effort is going into trying not to whine all the time. My breast is looking much better after the anti-biotic and suctioning, and my pain is under control pretty well. I have been sleeping well at night, usually for 7-8 hours without pain meds in the middle, and then wake up in tears, and take pain meds and go to sleep in my comfy chair, then feel ready to face the day in another hour or so. I made it to church today, and to a graduation for about an hour yesterday, both of which were somewhat exhausting, so I will probably lay pretty low yet for a while. I miss being with my friends and church family, and keeping up with my "normal" routines.

In the middle of this dry place I am being forced to remember that God is caring for me and planning my days. I know it is good to be re-focused on Him, though being distracted can sometimes be more fun. And the truth is, if I were left to myself, I would wander into all sorts of territory and forget the good God who has made me and saved me. So, while abdominal surgery stinks, God is good, and I am waiting for Him to bring me over that hump into the land of recovery.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I'm smiling just knowing I succeeded in making my test sound humorous. In retrospect, it was pretty funny (my though process included), and my main issues with the whole ordeal were my own embarrassment and lack of understanding about what's going on. Yet again, I'm having to learn the lesson of walking by faith by having the option of "knowing" what's happening (in quotes because I don't think we ever really KNOW) taken out of the picture for a bit. :o)

We are also praying for you as you are recovering and waiting for your next step! (And I'm returning the hug from afar, though I look forward to one in person when I see you next!) Love you much, and hope you get to feeling better soon!