Monday, June 16, 2008

Over the hump...I hope

Today I woke up, for the first time in over a month, feeling well. I almost said, "normal", but I'm not sure that captures it. Well. I felt like getting up, and didn't feel like I needed to run for the ibuprofen. And I took a 30 minute walk, watered all the plants, did four loads of laundry, and picked up a prescription at the grocery store. That's more than I've done in a month! God is very gracious to give me rest and recovery and hope, and though I am tuckered out now in the late afternoon, it is a happy sort of tired.

It's funny how often in trials it is the little things that wear you down... The surgery went fine, but the layer of skin that comes off with the steri-strips, or the yeast infection that comes from the antibiotics... these are the things that try one's soul. So today, please rejoice with me for hope in the Lord, and good morning. And please ask Him to hold on to me in the midst of the pesky and irritating things, and to help me keep my eyes fixed on Jesus.

I now have a peaceful couple of weeks to recuperate and gain back strength. I see my oncologist again on July 2, and if she approves, I go on to the radiologist on July 7. God has been so gracious to give me such a hopeful prognosis. I'm still not used to the idea! It is even better than I could have asked for, really. That's the sort of God we have. My soul can't stop singing Psalm 30:4-5:
"Sing praises to the Lord, O you, His saints, and give thanks to His holy name. His anger is but for a moment, but his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes in the morning."

Later in that psalm it says, "You have changed for me my mourning into dancing." Well, my dancing is pretty subtle on the outside yet, but I am cutting a rug on the inside...

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Hooray for the good days! I'm (internally) cuttin' a rug with ya!:) Much love and continued prayers...!

Patti Hobbs said...

That's wonderful, Chris. I think I must not have you in my rss reader since there are several posts here that I hadn't read! Glad you're doing better and your prognosis is so much better than you thought.