Saturday, December 24, 2011

[T]he people dwelling in darkness
   have seen a great light,
and for those dwelling in the region and shadow of death,
   on them a light has dawned.
~Matthew 4:16

This Christmas Eve has been a busy day.  We cut and wrapped caramels, Dave wrapped presents, I finished up grading for my VPSA classes and turned everything over to my co-teacher and friend since she will be covering my classes for some time beginning in January.  We ran and showered, and baked, and cooked, and now are preparing for worship.

This Christmas, as we face a new cancer battle and imminent surgery, the idea of living "in darkness" and dwelling "in the region and shadow of death" is even more poignant to us.  This life is certainly full of darkness and death.  But it is not a darkness without light. The good news of Christmas is that Christ, eternal God, descended to share our humanity, and do what we could not: make peace for us with God, and restore our relationship to our Creator.  Because Jeuss did that, I have a relationship that will last for eternity. And while I grieve that I must fight this cancer, I do not gireve as one who has no hope.

My prayer for you, Gentle Reader, is that this Christmas you glimpse the eternal in that ordinary birth in Bethlehem.  Rest your hope on that baby.  Then the threat of darkness and death can hold no terror for you, because eternity is won.

May this be your merriest Christmas ever!


No comments: