Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Counting my blessings

I was encouraged by this post this morning, and thought I would try my hand at remembering some of the highlights from the past year as the new year approaches. Here are some of the things I can thank God for bringing my way in 2011:
  • Our first granddaughter, Emma, turned one year old, and is the delight of our lives.
  • God forcibly removed Ben from the track he was traveling down, and gave him a jog he never knew he would love.
  • I got to spend several weeks with my daughter-in-love Elsa, and while we worked hard, it was a treat to get to know her better.
  • Granddaughter #2 is on her way, due on January 2, and we can't wait to meet Adaline Bell!
  • We enjoy amazing and beautiful relationships with all of our kids- Ben and Elsa, Tim and Nikki.
  • We enjoyed several great times with family- our children, our parents, and our siblings.
  • I had the privilege of teaching three mornings a week, and got to know a whole new slew of amazing young people.
  • Our neighbors came for desert one evening, and visited our church on Christmas Eve.
  • I have been able to run about half of my 30-minute jog.walk time, which is a huge accomplishment for me.
  • Dave and others made my Christmas wonderful. I have a new camera (look for photos once I figure out how to use it!) and a lovely home-spa basket from one sister, and a kindle reader from another! I am blessed with all their generosity.
  • And the cancer... So much wrapped into that thanksgiving.  I am thankful it was discovered very early, and that we have treatment options that give me a good prognosis.  I am thankful for the way I know God will use it to draw me closer to Himself through it. And I guess I am grateful that it works to further wean me from the things of this world and turn my eyes to heaven. 
So while the new year approaches with much uncertainty,  my certainty is in Christ, and my sure knowledge of His care for me in the past, and His substantive promises to do so in the future.  May you be similarly blessed, Gentle Reader!

No comments: