Thursday, December 08, 2011

A hard announcement

I've been thinking for a few days about how to write this post, and I still don't know how to begin.  So I will begin anyway, and trust you, Gentle Readers.

Last week, before traveling to Chicago with Dave, I had a routine mammogram, ultrasound, and a breast core biopsy done.  On Monday of this week, just after a lovely adventure in downtown Chicago and as we returned to the hotel, I heard those words again that no one wants to hear: malignancy, cancer, treatment options.  I was just undone for that first night.

But then, people started to pray for me as I slowly began to tell my closest friends, my family, and the elders of our church.  And God was gracious to lift me through their prayers, and remind me that none of this is a surprise to God, and that He has a good plan here.

So, here is what I know (and what I don't.) I have a new primary breast cancer in the other breast.  It is small (and for the medical geeks among you, 8x5x7 mm, without lymphovascular infiltration, ER/PR+ and HER2++.)  Further FISH tests and oncotyping are still being done.  I will need some kind of surgery.  I will need some plan for treatment beyond surgery. I will need further scans.  I will see my oncologist on Tuesday. I will call a surgeon and try to get an appointment for next week some time. I am now considered a "multi-focal breast cancer" patient, and I am no longer taking tamoxifen, since its job was to prevent a recurrence, and it did not. I don't know how this will really affect my life and responsibilities until a plan is made.

And, like during my last breast cancer treatment, I will try to keep updates here, all labelled "Cancer Journey", and if you want to see the latest, just search by that label, and everything will come up frm the newest to the oldest.

And what can you pray for me?  I thought you'd never ask, Gentle Reader...
  • Pray that I would face this courageously and be a good soldier for Jesus. 
  • Pray that I wold not despair, but trust God and make Him my sure resting place, and be able to sleep well and stay otherwise healthy.
  • Pray that the cancer would not spread, and that we would quickly formulate the best treatment plan.
  • Pray that I would be wise in making decisions not only about treatment, but about my life and teaching and what needs to stay and what needs to go.
  • Pray for my family and friends, who suffer alongside me.
So, here I am again, where I hoped never to be.   This is round 2 of the cancer journey for me, but Dave had about four rounds before me, so we have spent our whole married life (31.5 years) battling this outside enemy.  As I think of that, it reminds me all I have to be grateful for.  Please join me in praising God for the following specifics:
  •  That the only battles Dave and i have had to fight are external to us (disease), and that Dave continues to be an amazing source of comfort and support for me, as do the my kids and family and friends.  For this i am so thankful!
  • This was again found very early on a routine mammogram.
  • God prepared the way for me to go on travel with Dave so we were not apart when the news was received.
  • I have good caregivers who are on my team, good insurance to cover the costs, and wonderful family and friends to walk this journey with me.
  • I have an amazing God who meets my needs here and gives me hope of a future with Him, where every tear will be dried, and every trial put away.
For these things I am grateful. And I so appreciate your prayers!

6 comments:

Cindy Marsch said...

Many are praying for you, including from our prayer meeting at church last night!

Christina said...

Oh Chris I am so sorry. Take comfort, dear sister and do remember in this dark time that "every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain: And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed..." Is.40:4-5a Your valleys and mountains will shine in due season. As my mom would say "He does His own no wrong." I will be praying for you. "Fear not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am your God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." Is.41:10 You are not alone! <3

Kim and John Namestnik said...

Chris, I will be praying for you. Thank you so much for letting us know the specifics to pray for. Sending my love!

Unknown said...

Dear Chris,

My thoughts and prayers are with you. God is good. My love to you.

Your sister in Christ,
Francine

Shannon said...

I am so sorry to hear this news. (My mom shared with me a few days ago.) Scott and I are praying for you.

(And thanks for the extra geek-info! Those are the weird little things I always wonder about, and always wonder if/how to ask.) :)

Love you OODLES!!

cory said...

Praying for you, Chris ~
Corinne in NJ