Wednesday, December 14, 2011

My trip to the oncologist...

I saw my oncologist on Monday.  And I found it to be encouraging at the time.  It turns out that I am NOT HER-2 positive.  I am negative after doing a more sensitive test, and that is good news for my prognosis. I will, however, be having a couple of major surgeries, and likely go on aromatase inhibitors, after I have one of the major surgeries to force me into menopause.  The other surgery will remove all breast tissue.  You know I was doing some tough reading when this sounded like very good news to me!

My cheerful optimism gave way to dark despair briefly as I grappled with the realities of what is happening.  I couldn't even remember ANY Scripture in the middle of the night, so scattered and confused was my brain!  But God is good, and gives us a song in the night. I got up and started to read psalms, and came upon Psalm 17:8, which says:
Keep me as the apple of your eye;
   hide me in the shadow of your wings
That became my prayer, and i repeated it over and over to myself. Today is a better day, and last night I slept like a babe in the arms of my Savior-- praise God! I'm afraid this is the roller-coaster I may be on for some time.

So now, we are making surgery decisions, talking to multiple doctors, making appointments, and trying to make difficult decisions.  But I am so encouraged that my prognosis is a good one.  So, Gentle Reader, please praise God with me that:
  • I turned out to be HER-2 negative- a direct answer to prayer
  • My prognosis is excellent
  • I am getting sound medical advice (special thanks to me second-opinion-go-to-friend, G. M., for his help!)
  • I am surrounded by God's love in my family and friends.
Ans please ask God that:
  • We would make good decisions regarding my surgeries, and have access to all the information we need..
  • My tumor would not grow or change while those decisions are made.
  • That I would rest in the arms of Christ, knowing that none of this is a surprise to Him, and trusting that His plan for my life is for my good and His glory.

No comments: