Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Thinking about today and tomorrow



Today we have a new President-Elect. Though I disagree with many of Mr. Obama's policies (some of the vehemently), I plan to afford him the honor due to the office of President of the United States. Several things I have read on the election refected my thoughts pretty well. I thought Michael Novak had some good things to say. And I thought that Al Mohler had some excellent things to say. But my favorite may have been from George Grant, who posted a list of post-election commitments:
1. Pray more. 1 Thessalonians 5:17
2. Listen first. James 1:19
3. Work harder. Colossians 3:23
4. Serve others. Galatians 6:9
5. Defend life. Proverbs 24:11-12
6. Grumble less. James 5:9
7. Do justice. Amos 5:24
8. Love mercy. Micah 6:8
9. Walk humbly. Proverbs 15:33
10. Rejoice always. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
11. Trust Jesus. Revelation 19:6


Today I am pondering that verse in Proverbs that reminds us the heart of the King is in the hand of the Lord, and I am pretty sure that applies to Presidents as well.

And tomorrow I will be doing a difficult thing: ending, at least for a time, a ministry that has been my joy and passion for the last 12 years. The Los Alamos Homeschool Chorus has been a challenge and a joy to me, as we on the board have sought to train hearts and voices to worship God and serve others. Due to a one-two punch consisting of my ongoing medical issues and the moving away of our accompanist (he is a local pastor, and has accepted a call at a church several hours away), it would seem that the Lord is leading us to call it quits for the time being. We probably could have borne either of these events, but for them to strike together is a bit overwhelming. So tomorrow will be the last rehearsal for LAHC. I am trusting God's leading in this, and hoping that His strength will be so evident in my weakness that He will be glorified and His people will be blessed, even in the ending of something that has been wonderful.

All this thinking about today and tomorrow reminds me of that wonderful old hymn, "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" by Thomas O. Chisholm:
1. Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee.
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.

Refrain:
Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy Faithfulness, Lord unto me.

2. Summer and winter and spring-time and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Refrain

3. Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thy own dear presence to cheer and to guide,
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!


No comments: