Sunday, September 28, 2008

Emily

Yesterday, just before bed, I received one of the most painful e-mails I have ever received. My friend, Juanita and her husband, Terry, have been cyber friends for several years, both through my classical education loop and through their blogs (which you can find here and here. Terry pastors a church in Edson, Alberta, Canada, and Juanita homeschools their four children. Juanita was the dear friend who arranged a home in Montreal for Tim and Nikki to stay at when they had to visit the consulate there a few months ago.

Juanita's e-mail was stark. Their 14 year old daughter, Emily, had been out for a walk in the late afternoon, and was attacked and killed. She said they were trusting God, and that Emily was in the arms of Jesus.

I have rarely been so shocked or horrified. I wept and prayed until about 3:00 this morning, and have continued to lift this dear family in prayer ever since, my heart overflowing with love and sympathy, and the temptation to ungodly anger and outrage. I believe anger and outrage are appropriate responses to this situation, but my flesh is too ready to seek vengeance, and that is the province of the Lord alone. I want this man caught, but I should also want God to give this man a new heart.

I struggled in prayer during the early hours of the morning. The first question that often comes to mind at times like this is, "Where was God when such a thing was happening?" I know the answer to that one. God was right there, with Emily. The second question that follows on the first is, "Why would God allow such a thing?". That one, I have no real answer to, except that we know what God is like, and that He promises to work all things (the good, the bad, and the horrific) together for our good as His children, and for His own glory. I cannot see how He will accomplish this in this instance, how He can possibly bring something good out of so ugly a fact. But I can walk by faith, knowing He is good, and a keeper of His promises. I am left to trust that He knows what He is doing, even when I can't understand.

Several weeks ago, I lost a dear student at the age of 16. She had fought a year-long battle with lymphoma. That year had been a tough one for Becca and her family. But I never knew, until yesterday, to thank God for the grace he extended them by giving Becca that year, and giving the rest of us time to understand and to grieve.

Please pray for this dear family, who was not given time, but can be given the peace of God that passes all understanding. Pray for Terry and Juanita, for the stresses now upon their marriage and family, and as they lead Emily's older brother and two younger sisters through this time of shock and grief. Pray that they can rest and sleep. And pray that as details become known in the next few days, that whatever they are told, God would prepare them and uphold them. Pray for the church where Terry pastors, that they will not grow weary in doing good, and that they will be the hands and arms and feet of Christ, as His Body ought to be. And pray for the man who attacked Emily, and in a short period of time robbed this world of more precious than he can possibly imagine.

If you would like to see more about Emily, you can read a student profile of her here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks, Chris, for this lovely post. I joined you last night praying for them for I could not sleep either. We are tying to figure out how to make it to the memorial service. We had the privilege of hosting them for 4 days this summer, so Emily and Elisabeth could spend time together. What a precious time that was!!!
Tess

Unknown said...

I woke up twice last night, unusual for me, and prayed. Maybe the Lord is keeping a prayer vigil going for the Stauffers around the clock. My heart is broken. My own daughter is a 13yo Emily and I can hardly imagine facing what Juanita is facing.