Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Reading again, finally...

Sometime this past weekend, I passed over another hurdle of this recovery-- I can read again!  Now, I cannot read anything too technical, nor can I read for very long, but I can read in small sections, and actually follow the meaning of the words.  The focus and energy to do so previous to these last few days has evaded me. So, I am happy that all the video watching to pass time can reduce, and I can enjoy some good reading- in moderation at least!

So here is what is on my current reading list:

On the Kindle:
  • Scripture: currently having a leisurely read-and-pray through the book of psalms.  It soothes the soul. I have been doing this and the next all along.
  • Spurgeon's Morning and Evening. This was the first devotional book Dave and i did together as newly weds, and i can't even count the number of times I have read it, or parts of it, ove the last 30 years.  The amazing thing is that I still read it at times and wonder if old Charles wasn't writing just for me. The way the fruitful labor of God's people continues to bless later generations is marvelous.
  • "Directions for a Peaceful Death" by Richard Baxter (from The Digital Puritan Vol.1). Now, don't worry about the state of my mind, Gentle Reader.  I am not reading this because I fear my imminent demise, but because Baxter was a Puritan shepherd of souls who knew how to teach his flock.  In this work, he tells the Christian how to be prepared to die well-- something we will all do.  In typical Puritan fashion, he walks the reader through a series of "Directions" to follow.  Some of my favorites: Start thanking God for your infirmities and trials, because they are the means of weaning you from the world and fitting you for heaven. And fix upon 2 or 3 promises of God that address your fears, and stick to them.  For this illness, my choices have been these: 
    • Psalm 17:8 "Keep me as the apple of your eye;
         hide me in the shadow of your wings..."  
    • Isaiah 26:3 "You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you,
         because he trusts in you. "
    • Philippians 4:6-7 " ...do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
On my bedside table
  • My sweet brother and sister-in-law sent me One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. So far I am enjoying her poetic style, but I am only one chapter in (and that took me two days.) 
  • The Wreath by Sigrid Undset. This is a novel about Norwegian girl Kristin Lavransdatter, set in the Norway of the 1300's, and written by a Norwegian novelist from the first half of the 20th century.  This is a long-wanted book, given at Christmas to stock me up on good reading material for post-surgery.  I am only 4 pages in, but with three books in the series, I am happy to be starting the journey.
Now lest you think I am up and rolling in my old fashion, I must confess that just today, in trying to organize my facebook account, I somehow created a "secret" group that I cannot delete, and that is not what I thought it was.  So no more trying to meddle with social media while my mind is in its current state of affairs.  But it is a blessing to have some small modicum of focus back, and to look forward to a little reading.

2 comments:

Me said...

Enjoyed reading about your progress, Chris! - Anne

Jenifer Hanson said...

Yeah, it sounds like a little light reading...