Saturday, February 18, 2012

Lay me low, and keep me there

My morning began with Spurgeon telling me this:
Afflictions are often the black foils in which God doth set the jewels of His children's graces, to make them shine the better. 
~Charles H. Spurgeon, Morning by Morning, Feb. 18 
(You can read the whole of it here.)


So as I have been contemplating my day, and even my life, and praying for others, I am holding on to the amazing amount of grace God must be causing to shine in this dark world.  As I pray for those undergoing cancer treatment, little premature babies born at 25 weeks gestation and weighing under 2 pounds, another newborn just our of the first of many surgeries, and the parents dealing with such trials, I imagine the loving eye of our heavenly Father, smiling down at this dark, rebellious planet, and seeing the shining of His grace in these lives. And I ask His grace to shine from me, too.  And as Spurgeon reminds me, 
...It was but a little while ago that on thy knees thou wast saying, "Lord, I fear I have no faith: let me know that I have faith." Was not this really, though perhaps unconsciously, praying for trials?—for how canst thou know that thou hast faith until thy faith is exercised? Depend upon it, God often sends us trials that our graces may be discovered...
May it be so in my life, Gentle Reader, and in your as well.

"Trials make the promise sweet;
Trials give new life to prayer;
Trials bring me to His feet,
Lay me low, and keep me there."

No comments: