Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Thoughts on the NICU

This is an old photo of Emma, wearing the smallest preemie outfit we could find at the time.  See how big the legs are?!  I've been pondering God's blessings to us in that little girl today, as I have been praying for acquaintances in ABQ who have a little NICU (Neonatal intensive Care Unit) baby who is hopefully heading home today.  I pray little M. and his parents will be able to cuddle and relax in their own beds tonight.

Starting life in the NICU is tough on babies, though without this special place many of these tiny ones would not survive.  But as tough as it is on the babies, it is even tougher on the parents. Emma's mom is helping with a project to make hand-knit and crocheted blankets for NICU babies in Tucson.  It will speak volumes to those parents, who cannot help but be exhausted and stressed.  I wish we were closer to a NICU here, because I would definitely volunteer to go in there and hold those tiny ones.  But maybe I'll take a cue from my dear daughter-in-love, and see if we can't do a project here and deliver it there.  Wouldn't small, handmade quilts be fun? 

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Well the little peanut grew up didn't she!!! Here's a few links that might help:

http://www.thepreemieproject.com/volunteer/patterns

http://www.southern-stitches.com/preemie.html

~Jenny