Monday, September 12, 2011

For glory and for beauty

I have been reading through Exodus lately in my daily bible reading, and this morning found me in chapter 28.  For several chapters now we have been preparing the tabernacle and the articles God required for proper worship.  But for the first time, amid all those details, the phrase, "...for glory and for beauty..." jumped off the page at me.  Several of the items of garment worn by the priest are to be made"...for glory and for beauty..."

This got me to thinking... if I am now the temple (1 Cor. 6:19), then shouldn't I work to cloth myself (both my garments and my actions, my thoughts and my deeds) in both glory and beauty? The glory must be God's, of course, and the beauty must reflect Him.  But He must love both glory and beauty, and delight in me when I am reflecting those things back to Him.

So today, Gentle Reader, I will go about my every-day tasks-- I will pay bills, do laundry, work on lesson plans and pray for my students, plan and cook meals for my family, exercise my feeble body, and perhaps do a little sewing.  But I will try to remember in each of these tasks to proceed with glory and beauty.  Won't you join me?

No comments: