Thursday, June 23, 2011

Subject to lifelong slavery...

Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery.
~Hebrews 2:14-15 
I have been memorizing and meditating upon these verses recently.  It seems there are so many places we are subject to lifelong slavery by our fear of death.  Sometimes that fear of death is the fear below the obvious fear, but it is real slavery. Sometimes, on the surface, it looks like fear of what others will think, or fear of being alone, or fear of our own unworthiness, or fear of pain.  But it all boils down on some level to fear of death (the ultimate rejection) and slavery.

If I really believe that Christ has delivered me, and that I cannot face death until God calls me to it, and when he does call me to die, I am entering a place where he has already been and where he will walk with me, that should make a difference in how I live right now and always.  It should affect the decisions I make, and the boldness with which I am willing to live. I wish it did. But conscience doth make cowards of us all...

With Paul, I have to say, "Wretch that I am, who will save me from this body of death?" The answer, of course, is the One who destroyed the power of death and broke my chains.

I believe.  Oh Lord, help my unbelief!

No comments: