Sunday, September 19, 2010

Contentment...

I recently read a thought-provoking quote about contentment, or the lack of it. David Wayne said in a recent post:
I meet so many, too many, Christians who are discontent and dissatisfied with life.  I suppose in many ways I was one before my battle with cancer and I would gladly pray for all of you that you don't have to go through something commensurate to cancer to learn contentment.  But if you find the seeds of discontent in your life would you pray that God opens your eyes to the grace and kindness that surrounds you.  It's there, trust me, you are just blinded to it.
That got me looking at my contentment meter: you know, Gentle Reader, that thing that checks if I am happy, content, grateful, etc. I determined I was all those things.  And I began asking myself why.  The ultimate answer, of course, is that Jesus died for my sins, reconciled me to Himself, and provides every breath I take, along with everything else.  But I started wondering why I have such a sense of contentment right now in my life.  Perhaps my battle with cancer has somemthing to do with it, or my husband's battle with cancer before mine.  Or maybe it is the lack of a battle with cancer right now that makes my heart sing.  But I don't want to give cancer the credit.  Perhaps it is because I am, objectively speaking, incredibly blessed and have a very easy life.  But none of this satisfied me much.

You see, Gentle Reader, I don't want to be a :"fair weather fan" of my Heavenly Father. I don't want to only praise Him in the easy times. I want to be content always.  And while I guess that means in the good times along with the bad, I sometimes worry that in these good times my contentment will lead to complacency.  And I don't want that. Contentment in the bad times is somehow less disconcerting to me, because I know that I am utterly dependent on the Lord.  But these wonderful, good times, make it all so easy.

So on this Lord's Day, I am content, and trying not to be complacent in my contentment. May you, likewise, have peace this day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

amen

Unknown said...

I woke up this morning thinking it had been 15 years since I was diagnosed with melanoma, each of those years a gift. Recently I had begun to forget that. Your words reminded me of my earlier thoughts and are solidifying my resolve to be thankful even when life is difficult, something I have not done enough of lately.