Monday, September 06, 2010

The broken heart of motherhood...

Having the privilege the last few weeks of being admitted into the family circle of my son and daughter-in-love, where a first child has just been born, has caused me to reflect a great deal on motherhood.  Nikki has become a beautiful and tender mother to Emma, and watching her transformation has been a picture of God's grace and beauty. I have also been reminded of old truths as I see them afresh.

One of the most poignant reminders has been in regards to what I call the broken heart of motherhood.  There is a corollary to this in fatherhood, of course, but I don't have as intimate a knowledge of that.  And by the broken heart of motherhood, I don't mean the times our children break our hearts, though that will surely happen as well.

When it occurs to a mother how very dependent that little one is on her for all sustenance, for all comfort, for care of every kind, the realization that mom can never be sufficient for all that need is heart breaking.  The first time the little one cries inconsolably and mom doesn't have a clue what is wrong or what to do, her heart breaks.  She sees her own lack of ability, and the great need before her, and her heart breaks.  But it breaks for the better.

Motherhood shows us (or should show us) our inability, and leave us more ready to depend on our good Father in heaven for all that our children need.  Our lack reminds us that these children do not belong to us: they belong to Him.  It should drive us to our knees for our children, and for their children. And it makes a new people as mothers.

So these last few weeks I have had the blessing of watching a lovely heart be broken, and seen it held and healed by her heavenly Father.  May each of us as moms turn to Him who holds the things of the heart as we  are remade into broken, more tender-hearted creations.

3 comments:

Mrs. Edwards said...

Amen! So well put.

Quotidian Life said...

Beautiful thoughts, Chris. I especially liked the second to last paragraph. This is so true in my life, especially these days as my children are becoming adults. What a blessing that you've been able to share these special days with Tim, Nikki, and Emma.

Jenifer Hanson said...

Chris, I thought this was beautifully said, and sent it to my friend who is expecting her first daughter in November. Love you!