Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The "People's Attorney" in NM


Today I tried to call our state Attorney General's office. I wanted to lodge my opinion and encouragement with him concerning the health care issue. I think that is being a good citizen, whether you agree with me or not. Well, I was shocked at the treatment my call received. Whatever you believe about health care, you should be able to encourage your state government officials in some way other than writing a letter. It is time for the government to stop thinking of the citizens they serve as a nuisance, and start listening again.

March 23, 2010
Attorney General Gary king
P.O. Drawer 1508
Santa Fe, NM 87504-1508

Dear Attorney General King,

I would ask two things of you.

First, please consider bringing suit against the federal government, as many other Attorneys General from many other states are doing, and question constitutionally the right of the federal government to impose the current health care legislation upon our State. In addition to being a grab for power from the states which needs resisting, the financial burden imposed on our state will be huge.

Secondly, please allow some reasonable format for contacting you, as an important official in our state government. This form of mail is out-dated and antiquated, taking days to arrive to your attention. Please provide a means for citizens of this state to make their will known at all levels of our government, including your office. When I telephoned and asked to leave a message for you, the polite gentleman on the phone gave me the address here and said, “That will help ‘you people’ out, and this is how we’re going to handle it.” I felt both patronized and dismissed. If you are, indeed, “the people’s attorney” as your web site claims, then the people need to be able to get in touch with their advocate.

Sincerely,
Christine M. Finnegan
Los Alamos, NM 87544

1 comment:

Mrs. Edwards said...

"You people"? The gall! I didn't think of contacting our AG; that's a great idea.