Friday, March 12, 2010

Feeling God's pleasure...


Yesterday I sat in frozen aluminum bleachers to watch my young friend, M., play her first home game of the season in softball. The wind was awfully cold, but there were plenty of benefits from the outing. First, I got to watch the snow falling across the valley on the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, and the clouds shift and change in the setting sun. It was gloriously beautiful. And I enjoyed the company of friends, including M.'s parents (to whom I owe thanks for the photo). But mostly, I was on the scene when M., as a freshman playing her second year of varsity softball, made her first home run. As she rounded second, and saw the ball sailing clean out of center field and over the fence, there was a look of pure joy on her face. I was reminded of a quote by Eric Liddell, Scottish Olympic runner and Christian missionary, who said:

God made me fast. And when I run, I feel His pleasure.
~Eric Liddell


God made M. strong and brave. And His pleasure was pretty obvious on her face yesterday. Well done, M!

1 comment:

Eric Liddell Centre said...

You can find out more about Eric Liddell on our web site:

Eric Liddell

His life in China in later life is probably more inspiring than his Olympic victory.