Sunday, February 28, 2010

The One who knows the end from the beginning...


I've been working on memorizing the following verses this week, and so I have been meditating on them. These are very big verses, full of very big promises.

for I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is none like me,
declaring the end from the beginning
and from ancient times things not yet done,
saying, 'My counsel shall stand,
and I will accomplish all my purpose,'
~Isaiah 49: 9b-10


If what these verses say is true of God, then there are several inescapable conclusions that have life-shattering consequences. Take, for example, just the idea that God knows (actually, truly and really KNOWS) the end from the beginning. If this is true, it has something to say about how we trust God, how we educate our children, how we worry (or shouldn't worry) about circumstances, where we go in times of need, where we look for strength and support, how we conduct our vocation, how we structure our marriages and families, and on and on.

And after a week of meditating on such things, I was very prepared by the One who knows the end from the beginning to listen to a sermon on the providence of God, from the book o Esther.

These are very big verses, Gentle Reader, because we serve a very big God. May we all rest in Him on this Lord's Day.

No comments: