Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Health update


Last night, for the first time in probably about a year, I slept all night: from 10:30 to 5:45, solid, uninterrupted sleep. I don't think one can really appreciate the blessing of sleep until one goes without it on a regular basis.

Sleeping through the night is just one more sign of slow-but-steady improvement in the way I feel. I am gaining energy a little at a time. Some of my brain fog may even be starting to lift a little. While I am still not at what I consider "normal", I am grateful for signs of improvement. I still need my afternoon naps, and I still can't sing worth a darn (one of the sadder aspects of this whole business...) I am learning to deal with the aches and pains, and able to get better exercise again. God is so faithful to answer your prayers for me, Gentle Readers, and I am grateful for His blessings and your care and friendship!

Next week I have mammograms and blood work done, then in April I have a CT-scan of my chest, and see my oncologist again. Testing after cancer is simply not the same as it was before cancer, so I would appreciate your prayers that I could keep my eyes fixed on Jesus, and follow his admonition to let tomorrow worry after itself. And prayers for a clean bill of health would be appreciated, too!

Here is one of the songs I've been singing lately that has helped me to keep my focus. May we all remember the fathomless nature of God's love for His children!

This Fathomless Love by Steve and Vikki Cook

Lord, what moved Your heart to love lowly man
Before any star could herald Your praise?
And why did You come, abasing Yourself
Veiled in a robe of frail human clay?
Why would You, the pure, give Your life for the vile
The innocent seeking the guilty
To be reconciled?

I can’t comprehend this fathomless love
I’m gripped and amazed at what You have done
Why would the adored become the despised
To bear all the furious wrath that was mine?
How awesome this mystery
Of Your fathomless love for me

Why would You adopt and take as Your own
Those who had crushed Your one precious Son?
Why mercy and grace towards Your enemies?
Your name they have cursed and Your throne they have shunned
Oh, how could You choose to show kindness to these?
The ones who would mock You and hate You
The ones just like me?

No comments: