Thursday, December 05, 2013

Thursday thought: trusting in ignorance

This morning I read these words from Psalm 40:

I waited patiently for the Lord; He inclined to me and heard my cry.  He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord.
~Psalm 40: 1-3
It's easy to trust in hindsight.  We look back, and see what God has done in the past, and rejoice.  We see it, remember it, recollect it.  We have experienced it, and gained knowledge of it, and it is good.

But what is the opposite of hindsight?  According to thesaurus.com, the antonym of hindsight is ignorance. And when I look at the future, I am definitely that-- ignorant of what lies ahead. And somehow trusting God when I am in that kind of ignorance-- without knowing what is coming-- is a tougher task.

That's where David in the Psalms is such a comfort.  He understood the connection between hindsight and ignorance.  He knew that looking back at what God has done is exactly how we can trust Him without knowing what the future holds.  We don't trust the future-- or our ignorant selves.  We trust Him.

Praying that we may rest in that trust, despite our ignorance, Gentle Reader, and have a new song in our mouths.

2 comments:

Jenifer Hanson said...

I really needed to read this today, Chris! Thanks :)

ikceb said...

Thanks, Chris! Praying for you!