Thursday, June 24, 2010

Longing for good organization...


I am almost finished with a huge job: cleaning out the closet in our office/sewing room, including reorganizing all my fabric. This may seem like a small enough task, unless you are or have known a quilter. Dave calls me a "speculative fabric buyer". I have a LOT of fabric, but it is now all folded and separated by color, and most of it is put into bins, though I need a few more. It is good to be reminded of what I have. Now to clean out the rest of the closet so all the fabric will fit back inside of it!

Dave suggests that after I finish the office closet, maybe I should begin going through the bins in our sheds that are school work from all our years of homeschooling. My guess is, with one kid an electrical engineer and the other working on his doctorate, I will no longer have to prove that I really did teach them anything. So I guess it's time to ditch much of that. But there is some emotional attachment to that stuff. And I wasn't throwing away any fabric.

So, this is the summer to re-organize apparently. When I am not teaching is a good time to do it. My bedroom closet has been done, and the turn-arounds in my kitchen cabinets. And almost the office closet. So school work, you are next on my list. Maybe I will find some fun things to post from that job...

And one always learns from reorganizing: we collect too much "stuff", we save things that we'll never use, and we use things better when they are organized. But perhaps the greatest lesson of all is how chaos always reclaims this world's spaces. I long for a home where things are useful and beautiful and stay in order. But I don't think I'll get it this side of heaven. Maybe that's what the longing is for.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Chris,

I have been doing the same thing and becoming frustrated, but your insight into longing as the root of that frustration has helped immensely. So back to cleaning and organizing. Thanks again, my friend.

~Jenny