Wednesday, March 30, 2011

More grace in Christ...

I have really been challenged as I have read  Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands: People in Need of Change Helping People in Need of Change (Resources for Changing Lives) by Paul David Tripp. I am constantly feeling convicted, and this selection from a few days ago is no exception:

As sinners we all tend to recast our own history in self-serving ways.  We hide behind the difficulties and pressures of the situation or the failures of others.  We look for external explanations, not internal ones. We are more impressed with our own righteousness than we are horrified at our sin.
~Paul Tripp, Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands: People in Need of Change Helping People in Need of Change (Resources for Changing Lives), p.181

Guilty as charged.  To all of you, Gentle Readers, who I have used to puff up my own self-righteousness, I ask your forgiveness.  And from those of you who have suffered because of my love for my own sin, I also beg forgiveness. It is grace that keeps me from being immobilized. It is grace, which is greater than all my sin and inability to be righteous, that saves me.  Thank you, Lord Jesus! I cling to this truth, so aptly put by Puritan Thomas Watson, that there is even more grace in Christ than there is sin in me.

No comments: