Thursday, October 07, 2010

On open gates and vulnerability...

This morning I left my back gate open as I went on my bike ride.  This is my normal policy because when I return from my bike ride, with wobbling legs and knocking knees, I prefer not to try to get the gate open while balancing the bike and myself.  So I leave the gate open for easy access to the bike's backyard home when I return.

I suppose this open gate could be an invitation to someone who wishes to enter my backyard and do mischief there. It could be a sign of vulnerability to be taken advantage of.  That is sometimes the cost of living in a fallen world.

Instead, I prefer to think of my open gate as a sign to my friends and neighbors that I am out on my bicycle, with the wind flowing over me, and the pavement passing under my tires. I hope when they see my open gate, they praise God with me for the freedom to enjoy God's good gifts.

When I leave my gate open, I suppose I run the risk that someone will, indeed, make mischief in my backyard.  But without taking the risk in life, we miss much. Such is always the price of vulnerability.  May we all have vulnerable hearts, Gentle Reader, open to the things of God around us!

2 comments:

Kim and John Namestnik said...

Chris, I've been reading your blog for a while now... and I enjoy what you write. Good thoughts here. Thanks! :)

MagistraCarminum said...

Thanks, Kim! Welcome!