Thursday, August 21, 2008

The peace of sleep


Sleep is a blessed thing.

This afternoon when I returned home from my treatment, I was really tired. A friend described the fatigue of radiation as a tired that permeates every fiber of your being. That about covers it.

I ate some lunch while watching some Olympic equestrian event, then caught up on e-mail, then laid down with a couple of good books. Somewhere after about 30 minutes of reading, I fell soundly asleep. And I mean SOUNDLY.

The phone rang, and I must have jumped straight up in bed, knocking my books and glasses who knows where. I reached for the phone, but as is my custom, I had neglected to return it to its cradle, and in a blind stupor (because I could not find my glasses) went running around trying to locate the ringer by its sound. I discovered that my sense of hearing is not very acute. I did eventually find the phone, and since it was my dear husband, he patiently waited while I located my glasses on the floor, and allowed my heart rate to return to normal. I had been dead to the world for well over an hour. In the middle of the day. I haven't been able to do that since I used to nap with my toddlers (yes, the ones now married or soon to be!)

Sleep is a gift God gives us. Our bodies crave it. Our souls need it. I am grateful for it!

No comments: