Saturday, April 25, 2015

NPM: Edna St. Vincent Millay

In middle school and high school, one of my favorite poets was Edna St. Vincent Millay.  While my tastes have grown perhaps less maudlin, she was a master wordsmith.

Pity Me Not by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Pity me not because the light of day
At close of day no longer walks the sky;
Pity me not for beauties passed away
From field and thicket as the year goes by;
Pity me not the waning of the moon,
Nor that the ebbing tide goes out to sea,
Nor that a man’s desire is hushed so soon,
And you no longer look with love on me.

This love I have known always: love is no more
Than the wide blossom which the wind assails,
Than the great tide that treads the shifting shore,
Strewing fresh wreckage gathered in the gales.
Pity me that the heart is slow to learn
What the swift mind beholds at every turn.


No comments: