Tuesday, May 04, 2010

History and redeeming the time...


I have been enjoying some history podcasts lately that I thought I would share with you, Gentle Reader. I listen to these while I'm doing laundry, cleaning my room, etc., and have found them fascinating. And if i were a bit more techno-savvy, I could put them on my mP3 player...

The first is a delightful series called "The History of Rome". By going back in the archives, you can begin the tale with Romulus and Remus, and continue on through his most current post, the Parthinian War and Marcus Arelius. Mike Duncan has a dry wit and a way of saying things that makes me laugh out loud. And the history is fascinating. I highly recommend this series.

The second, which I have just started, is called "12 Byzantine Rulers: The History of the Byzantine Empire", by Lars Brownworth. I have to say that so far (and I am just through Diocletian and Constantine) Mr. Brownworth is not quite as funny as Mr. Duncan. But the history is still fascinating, and my knowledge of both of these time periods was woefully lacking, so I am learning much.

And maybe just a note about redeeming the time. Maybe it seems ridiculous to listen to history lectures while one cleans the bathroom. But I am becoming much better educated as I do. And somehow that redeems the time cleaning the bathroom for me. As I do simple manual labor to chase away the bacteria, I fill my mind as well. It helps keep the cobwebs out of my brain as well as my bathroom!

And now, Gentle Reader, I am off on a walk on a lovely Spring day, stopping by the bank, picking up a prescription, and beginning to listen to The Brothers Karamazov on my mP3 player...

3 comments:

Tim's Medical Blog said...

And if i were a bit more techno-savvy, I could put them on my mP3 player...

Try right clicking on say "92- The Parthian War" and selecting "save link as..." it should have the file name and MP3 selected. I would save it to you desk top then open you MP3 player as a folder then just drag and drop. Hope this helps...

MagistraCarminum said...

Thanks for the tip, Tim!

Tim's Medical Blog said...

If you get the files downloaded you can use a free ware program called "audacity" to edit out commercials and unwanted potions of the file....