Friday, July 26, 2013

Five for Friday

For some time now, I have been contemplating a post each week which has some kind of category and a list.  Because I am a bear of very little brain, a top-10-type list was too much.  But Five for Friday sounds about right to me.  I invite any of my blogging friends to join me in this Friday posting idea.

Let me start with five things worthy of reinstating the stocks and the pillory.  You know stocks and pillories, Gentle Reader-- those places where depraved persons would be forcibly tethered and their fellow citizens could throw rotten fruits and vegetables at them and discgrace them in public?  It seems to me that there are a few categories of people for whom this would be a just, nay even a gracious, punishment.  And here they are:
1. Computer hackers, who wreak havoc with the time of others for sport.
2. Identity theives, not content to steal from others, but set on ruining lives of others.
3. People who riot.  Whatever the supposed "spark", anger is never a righteous justification for wholesale destruction of property and the livlihood of others. When it comes to people who inflame others to riot,  I am not sure the stocks or pillories is actually sufficient for those folks.  Inflaming emotion rather than reasoning with others and seeking reconciliation is evil.
4. People who vandalize and destroy things of function or beauty just for the sake of the destruction.  Such people are barbarians, and need to be taught what it means to live in a civilized society.
5.  People who write (articles, books, research papers, homework) for others to claim as their own, and the people who pay them to do it.  This is a type of moral theft and deep dishonesty that ought not to be countenanced

What would you add to my list, Gentle Reader?

No comments: