Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Spiritually bi-polar


Last night I said to my dear husband, "Sometimes I think I am spiritually bi-polar."  He left in the morning with a wife discouraged and fearful about facing the normal challenges of the day, and returned to a wife encouraged, rejoicing, unable to stop smiling.  Now, I am definitely hormonally challenged right now, which exacerbates the situation.  But this morning I read this in Spurgeon:
It was but yesterday that I could read my title clear; today my evidences are bedimmed, and my hopes are clouded. Yesterday, I could climb to Pisgah’s top, and view the landscape o'er, and rejoice with confidence in my future inheritance; today, my spirit has no hopes, but many fears; no joys, but much distress. Is this part of God’s plan with me? Can this be the way in which God would bring me to heaven? Yes, it is even so.
 ~C. H. Spurgeon, Morning by Morning, May 22
So, I am not alone.  This is the Christian life: up and over the mountain, down the other side. Phew- that encourages me.  I have that part down! And God will use these ups and downs for my good and His glory.  What a blessed assurance that is!

Part of my encouragement came from time in His word, part from an excellent oncologist visit (all appears well, and I am heading where I need to without any sign of cancer, and with possible relief from some side-effects!) And this morning, I'm still smiling.  I hope you are too, Gentle Reader!

“O let my trembling soul be still,
And wait thy wise, thy holy will!
I cannot, Lord, thy purpose see,
Yet all is well since ruled by thee.”

1 comment:

Cindy Marsch said...

Excellent news!