Friday, May 27, 2011

A fruitful week after all...

This has been a challenging and frustrating week.  I got one of those virulent viruses on Monday that played havoc with my internal systems, and left me 4 pounds lighter, too weak to do what I want to do, and a whole week behind in what I thought I'd have done by now. So this morning, from the security of my comfy chair, I have been reflecting on why such times are so good for me-- apart from the weight loss, of course.

In my quiet time this morning, I read the following from the book of Philippians:
Yes, and I will rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance, as it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. ~Phil. 1:18b-21a
There is so much encouragement packed into these verses! I can rejoice because Jesus is about His work in me.  His Spirit and the prayers of His people are used for my deliverance. I receive courage and expect that in Christ I will not be ashamed but give Him honor in all things-- life or death. Christ is all.  And here is what really struck me: if I continue in this life, I can be confident of fruitful labor. Wow. As a person who broke out in a sweat just trying to water the garden, and who had to take a nap after paying a few bills, that is comfort!  When I feel like I am the furthest thing from fruitful, I have the assurance that God is at work making my labor fruitful as long as I live. If there has ever been a week that seemed unfruitful, this has been it. But God has used my prayers this week.  He has worked on making me into the likeness of Jesus this week. He has turned my heart in prayer to His praise this week.

I guess it's been a fruitful week after all...

No comments: