Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The joy of teaching is learning...

I have been teaching composition classes for 20 years or so, in one form or another, and there are certain aspects of composition have always mystified me. For instance, when students write persuasive essays that don't really engage the questions at hand, I am often at a loss.  As one who sort-of intuits these relationships, I have struggled with how one teaches students who don't intuitively sense this. And I'm not sure I have been extremely successful in helping my students, despite my best intentions.

In preparing and teaching my classes for today, a little piece of the puzzle locked into place for me.  And hopefully, now, I can better aid my students into the same realizations.  I love having a light-bulb pop on in my own head, and seeing it pop on in my students! Part of the real joy of teaching is learning.

{And for you composition geeks out there, today's epiphany just involves thinking of a better way of explaining why one must make sure one thinks through the thesis and antithesis of an opinion, and why the wording of the antithesis is very important if one is going to address the problems with the thesis. Without this clash of ideas, an essay's points are like ships that pass in the night instead of an argument. I'm sure all of you, Gentle Readers, realized all of this long ago. But it excited me this morning!}

2 comments:

Cindy Marsch said...

As you know from my earlier comment, I think the ships passing in the night is a great metaphor for this concept!

MagistraCarminum said...

Ahem- maybe NOT skipping words, like the "that" in the very first sentence-- apparently that mystifies me, too!