Thursday, September 01, 2011

I love September

I love September for many reason. Here are just a few:
  • School starts, full of fresh hope and enthusiasm, and I dream big dreams of all that will be accomplished.
  • The pungent smell of roasting green chile fills the air.  This is an acquired taste, but now it says "Fall!" to me.
  • The coolness of the mornings which remind me of fall, and the afternoon reminders of the heat of summer. Those cool morning temperatures call me out to hike, and the afternoon heat encourages me to hole-up inside with something to drink and a good book
  • The sense of the changing of the seasons and the changing of the light.  I don't know if I was just too distracted in my younger days to enjoy this sublime change from one season into another, and more than that, the changein the quality of the light as winter approaches.  Perhaps that is more evident here in the Southwest, where you have so much sunshine and can see so much of the sky than it was in the Midwest, where the trees can make one claustrophobic, the portion of the sky you can see is usually gray, and the humidity is stifling.  But the bright, white light of the summer sun is beginning to mellow and fade, and i enjoy its golden hues.
  • The aspens will soon change and display their richness, rejoicing with the change in the seasons.
  • The roses are in their final glorious bloom for the year.
  • The fresh tomatoes and green beans from the garden are abundant, and more flavorful than anything you can buy. The pears are weighing down the tree. As I prepare to freeze or can these delectables, there is a sense of preparing for the winter and providing for my family that is very satisfying.
  • Our sweet Nikki joined our family in September, and I don't know what we'd do without her.
I love September, Gentle Reader.  Don't you?  What do you love about it?

No comments: