Sunday, September 11, 2011

A cacophony of copia*

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
~Colossians 3:16

This morning as I awoke, I found myself singing a psalm to the Lord, made up of all the bits and pieces of various passages and hymns that I've memorized or learned over the years.  I just caught these things as they flitted by and praised God in the wee hours while the cool fall breeze drifted in my window, and as I was in that place-- not quite awake but not fully asleep, either.  It went something like this:

Praise the Lord , oh my soul! And let all that is in me praise His name.  For the Lord is God above all other Gods. Enter his courts with thanksgiving and his gates with shouts of joy. Sing a new song to the Lord, for He has done marvelous deeds. The earth is the Lord's, and all that dwell therein. For our God is a great God. He speaks and the earth trembles. O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name forever...

You get the idea.  It was a cacophony of copia* from the abundance of my little heart this morning, to the God who calls me into his presence with his people today, who showers me with uncountable blessing, and who makes a flat place for my feet.

May today find you singing psalms of your own to our heavenly Father, Gentle Readers. And may you be headed, as I am, to public worship in the company of the saints.

*{And if you are wondering how I am using that lovely little word, copia, please see here.}

No comments: