Friday, June 25, 2010

Better than cherry pie...


On Monday I had a dwarf cherry tree just covered in tart pie cherries. A friend assured me that birds won't go after the tart cherries, but only the sweet ones. Well, I guess since all the sweet cherries in my neighborhood were killed by frost, the birds decided to make an exception, and they picked my tree clean by Wednesday. So much for the promising thought of a fresh cherry pie!

Have you ever noticed how often our ripe, juicy dreams get consumed by some sort of rapacious scavenger? That's when I am reminded, Gentle Reader, that the most important of all dreams is the one about the Creator and Sustainer of all. Nothing slips through His hands unnoticed, and nothing come into my life but through His hands. This produces not fatalism, but hope. God is good, and will turn all things to right. That's something better to hold on to than cherry pie....

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I'm hoping the birds leave our tree alone until this evening. My son picked a few quarts before he left for camp, and I picked enough this morning to have a cherry/blueberry smoothie for breakfast. There's a few gallons left on the tree, though. I hope!