Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Thinking about death


This week I'm thinking a lot about death. Several thing motivate these thoughts.

First, an elderly lady in our congregation, who was a charter member of our church, went home to be with the Lord last Sunday, and plans are under way for her burial and memorial service this week. She was a prayer warrior, a faithful heart.

Second, all my recent physical activity has left me sore and hurting in every muscle group I can think of. When I am trying to wake up in the morning and everything hurts, my thoughts turn to the time when I won't hurt any more, and that most likely won't be until I'm with the Lord. So my early morning meditations are realistic reminders that this world is not all there is, and through Christ we have passage into a better place one day, when we lay down the suffering here. They are also meditations on the nature of dying to self every day, and looking for what the lord has for me to do each day. If it was just up to me, I would likely stay in bed. But the Lord calls me to follow his example, take up the cross before me (my physical pain in this instance), and follow His lead with my day. It's a good thing He gives me the strength to proceed!

Third, it's Passion week. As Christians, we remember the suffering and death born for us by our Savior, Jesus Christ, in anticipation of his resurrection. Without that death, my redemption was not possible. And because of it, I have a relationship with the Creator of the universe. That's something to contemplate!

At the Memorial Service on Saturday, I'll be singing the wonderful song below at the beginning of the service . These words are good ones to be hiding in one's heart.

I Will Glory In My Redeemer by Steve and Vikki Cook

I will glory in my Redeemer
Whose priceless blood has ransomed me
Mine was the sin that drove the bitter nails
And hung Him on that judgment tree
I will glory in my Redeemer
Who crushed the power of sin and death
My only Savior before the Holy Judge
The Lamb Who is my righteousness
The Lamb Who is my righteousness

I will glory in my Redeemer
My life He bought, my love He owns
I have no longings for another
I’m satisfied in Him alone
I will glory in my Redeemer
His faithfulness my standing place
Though foes are mighty and rush upon me
My feet are firm, held by His grace
My feet are firm, held by His grace

I will glory in my Redeemer
Who carries me on eagle’s wings
He crowns my life with lovingkindness
His triumph song I’ll ever sing
I will glory in my Redeemer
Who waits for me at gates of gold
And when He calls me it will be paradise
His face forever to behold
His face forever to behold
His face forever to behold

No comments: